Want to leave a review?Sign Up Today
Is it the right program for me?
CheckWise was created for individuals who have never had an account at a financial institution, or who might have had problems in the past that make it hard for them to open a new account. CheckWise is also useful for anyone who feels like they’d like some help learning to manage their current account. If you find yourself in any of these situations, CheckWise can benefit you.
Opening a checking or savings account is the best and easiest way to start learning how to use a financial institution’s services. Your new account is a tool that can help you accomplish your financial goals. Having an account can also help you manage your money and pay your bills more safely and easily.
How can an account at a financial institution benefit you?
• You save money because you no longer have to pay for check-cashing services
• If your employer offers direct deposit for your paychecks, you have an account where your money can be deposited
• You gain access to other financial services, such as loans and credit cards
• An account can help you manage your money so you can use it to get more of the things you want
What will I learn from the CheckWise?
You will learn basic skills you need to open and use an account, including:
• How to choose a financial institution and an account that is right for you
• How to avoid costly fees
• How to balance your account and avoid overdrawing it
• How to keep your account safe from scams and identity theft
Will I be able to open an account after completing CheckWise?
You must meet all the requirements of a bank or credit union before you can open a new account. Taking CheckWise is not a guarantee you’ll be able to open an account. However, completing the CheckWise program shows a bank or credit union that you want to know how to manage an account responsibly. When you have completed the CheckWise program, you will receive a certificate that you can present to a bank or credit union in your area. You will also be registered in a national database that serves as a permanent record that you’ve graduated from the CheckWise program.